Big Kahuna

Obtaining Your Drivers License In St. Thomas USVI

I was really trying to avoid getting my St. ThomasĀ U.S.V.I. drivers license but I got tired of the mean women at Magens Bay charging me a full rate because I didn’t have my USVI license (and trust me, they knew I was local). But that’s another story for another day.

This is how easy it is to get your USVI license:

The St. Thomas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is open from 8am-3pm (closed during the many, many, many holidays). Their phone number is 340-774-5765.

Here’s what you need:

1. A Valid Stateside License (a temporary won’t work)

2. Social Security Card

3. Passport or Birth Certificate

4. Your driving record (get a copy from your local DMV or insurance agent)

That’s it!

Fill out the “Intial/Renewal” Form, stand in line and pay the $45 fee (remember to smile and say “good morning” or “good afternoon”). Then you’ll need to wait for them to call you to get your picture taken. The St. Thomas DMV will take your stateside license and give you a new USVI license.

I arrived at 8:30 and was done by 9.


[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [] [Facebook] [Technorati] [Google] [StumbleUpon]


  1. February 12, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

    ChestyBabe Said,

    Wow, that’s easy!

    ? Did you try to keep your stateside license and get a VI license? Could you have done this? Take a driving test or Written test to do so?

  2. February 12, 2009 @ 7:09 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    You have to turn in your stateside license.

    No test is required.

  3. February 13, 2009 @ 8:37 am

    Simon Said,

    Good Info for those who want to move to the VI and obtain a Drivers Lic. Good vital info!

  4. March 3, 2009 @ 10:55 am

    Janelle Said,

    This post gave me the courage to finally get my VI license after almost five years of living here! It really was this easy!

  5. March 3, 2009 @ 6:35 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Yea, I was shocked at how easy it was. Glad I could help.

  6. March 16, 2009 @ 4:23 pm

    jacob Said,

    What if you have a revoked licencse in youre home state.

  7. March 16, 2009 @ 7:13 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    No idea, sorry.

  8. March 19, 2009 @ 6:42 pm

    Scubadiverstt Said,

    If your license is revoked in the states, you theoretically cannot get a license in the US or any of it’s territories. However, having said the above, and lived in St. Thomas for ten years, I can tell you there does not appear to be “reciprocity” between St. Thomas and the mainland when it comes to verifying driver’s records. Of course, it IS possible that things have changed since then. I know of people who apply for a duplicate (lost) license in their home state, turn in the original to the USVI after the replacement arrives, and have two valid licenses, with neither knowing about the other. WARNING/DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT NOR ENCOURAGEMENT TO BREAK THE LAW, MERELY SOMETHING I HEARD THAT PEOPLE HAVE DONE IN THE PAST.


  9. March 28, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

    Pat Said,

    hi. my wife works as a teacher here in the islands. she holds a working visa and is not a citizen. i just arrived last january 2009 and im not entitled to hold a job, suffice to say no ss no. i have an international licemse but it’s only good for 3 months from the time i arrived. can i still secure a vi license still?

  10. March 29, 2009 @ 7:06 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    I have no idea, I would take a trip down there and talk to someone. But I would think you can’t get a license if you’re not a US citizen.

  11. April 1, 2009 @ 5:01 pm

    Sharon Said,

    Hey Guys! Great blog & wonderful info. I am trying to find out whether I can renew my VI D.L. online. I didn’t think to do it last trip home…and it’s going to expire soon. I figured I’d have to make a special trip (oh darn…) back to renew in person. Any idea!?
    Again-great job & thanks for the restaurant reviews–

  12. April 1, 2009 @ 5:35 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    I would call the number listed and ask. They actually answer the phones. Thanks for your support!

  13. April 2, 2009 @ 3:52 pm

    mike Said,

    If I go down and get my St thoamas drivers liscense do you get it right away or do they mall it to you?

  14. April 2, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Right away.

  15. May 4, 2009 @ 11:24 am

    Marion Said,

    It’s that easy if your state allows access to your driver’s record on line. I had to get a copy of my driving record and take it to them.


  16. May 4, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    A driving record is not required if you have a current license. They didn’t check my record online that’s for sure…

  17. May 31, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

    Need a DL Said,

    What if you didnt have a stateside DL to turn in? all you had was SS card, Passport?

  18. May 31, 2009 @ 8:18 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    You’d have to call them on that.

  19. June 3, 2009 @ 3:46 pm

    Robert Vanooyen Said,

    Following the Big Kahuna advice I prettied my self up, packed my passport, SS card, and my current FL license and drove to the office. Walked in and saw cashier #4 was available. I indicated I was here with money and the proper documents to trade my valid license for a VI license.
    She inquired as to whether I was in posession of a verification letter from the state that issued my license, being FL.
    I said no, smiled and said I would return with one as soon as I figured out how to get one. Oh well!

  20. June 3, 2009 @ 9:44 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    You should have asked to speak to someone else because according to their own rules that’s not required. It certainly wasn’t asked for when I went in. But that’s St. Thomas for ya!

  21. June 8, 2009 @ 1:33 pm

    Robin Stokes Said,

    What do I need to do if I lost my VI drivers license? Will it still cost me $45.00?

  22. June 8, 2009 @ 3:15 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Not sure but when you find out let us know.

  23. June 25, 2009 @ 5:24 am

    Me Said,

    can i get a licence even if its suspended in the states.

  24. June 25, 2009 @ 5:58 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Hmmm, how to answer this question? Come to the VI, bring your old license, trade it in for a new VI license. Chance they check…you’ll have a better chance of winning the lottery :)

  25. July 1, 2009 @ 3:22 pm

    Aaron Said,

    Hey Big Kahuna, look forward to meeting ya. This info on the island is awsome, thank you. My fiance and I will be arrinving july 6th and was woundering if we need an address for the DMV or can we just make one up? Or will they even ask?

  26. July 1, 2009 @ 4:09 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Just get yourself a mailing box, I use 340-777-3490.

  27. July 9, 2009 @ 7:06 pm

    Robin Stokes Said,

    I wrote in on June 8th about losing my drivers license and getting a DUPLICATE!
    Well today is July 9th and I finally got around to doing just that!
    My first words of advise. Don’t go at lunch time!
    I still had to show my passport and SS card. Then paid a $5.00 paper processing fee. Next step was to walk down the street and have it notarized for another $5.00. Go back to the DMV/MDV and turn that in at the counter and paid $10.00 processing fee before waiting in line for the photo lady to reprint my original license. So it was the same photo and same expiration date at a few hours of my time. So try not to lose your license and just be prepared if you do lose your license the total cost will be $20.00! It was a learning experience for sure.

  28. August 24, 2009 @ 3:22 pm

    specialK Said,

    I just did this on Thursday last week so let me give you my run down! I first applied for a duplicate license from homestate so that I could still have a stateside license…you just never know.

    Took my stateside license, ss card and passport to the lovely dmv…went to a cashier and was told I needed a letter from the state and to go speak to “mr smith”…of course “mr smith” is out for awhile…could be an hour, could be the rest of the afternoon. After sitting and enjoying the nice, cold a/c for about 15 minutes – I decide to go try another cashier. This second cashier processed my paperwork right there, no questions asked.

    When I went to do the picture, the lady in that office did say I needed a letter from home state of a clean driving record…a supervisor passed by and she pulled her in — so, apparently in may depend on the state you are from? She said she could access my record so it was fine.

    Lesson learned and keep in mind *** don’t take anything that just 1 person says at face value…there is a complete and total disconnect among employees – especially at the banks and/or any government office. This has been my personal experience though.

    Good luck!!!!

  29. August 24, 2009 @ 11:28 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    It doesn’t surprise me that you got different stories from different people. This is the same placed that closed on a business day for “Customer Training”.

  30. September 9, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

    Christine Said,

    We own a home on St. Thomas, but live stateside. We are purchasing a used vehicle on island. Do we need to have a VI driver’s license to register the vehicle with the DMV or can we use our valid stateside driver’s license?

  31. September 10, 2009 @ 11:48 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    You don’t need a VI license to buy/register a car. Just show your valid stateside license.

  32. October 4, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

    Shirl Said,

    A family member is in St Thomas, planning on working there for about 7 months. Coming over from the eastcoast US, will she need to do anything other than count on her regular drivers license to drive a car while in St Thomas?

  33. October 8, 2009 @ 8:15 am

    Heather Nicole Said,

    A lot of people keep their state-side licenses for much longer than they’re “supposed to.” I wouldn’t worry about it.

  34. November 4, 2009 @ 9:01 pm

    robert williams Said,

    I am a local with a citizen ID card and a stateside new york city drivers license which needs to be change to a st.Thomas drivers licence to drive in here on the island.
    I was told:” I need a verification letter from the state of New York” on the phone. Is this going to be a head ache to get my license?

  35. February 8, 2010 @ 2:56 am

    Monique Said,

    This is reversed. I have a VI drivers license and want to change it to a NY drivers license do I have to take a road test?

  36. February 22, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

    Paul Said,

    As an insurance agent living stateside, and visiting our “humble-abode” a few times a year in S. T., I can tell you a couple of things: Unless you become a “permanent resident” you cannot get a ST D/L in addition to your mainland D/L. Federal law now prohibits posessing more than one D/L of the same class. All DMV’s now run your current D/L and/or your SSN through the national system to check validity…but not driving records. IF you have a suspended or revoked mainland D/L, you must get a “SR-22″ statement of financial responsibilty form from your prior D/L state’s insurance company.

  37. March 7, 2010 @ 9:22 pm

    Travis Said,

    What about residing in VI and returning to the mainland to drive. Is it a hassle to have a USVI DL in the US or is there a way I can have my Carolina DL and a USVI DL. You know-Something like a dual citizenship thing.

  38. March 26, 2010 @ 11:33 am

    Moving To St. Thomas US Virgin Islands – Top Ten Tips – Part 3 Said,

    [...] St. Thomas Drivers License [...]

  39. March 28, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

    amyc Said,

    Hello Everyone,
    I will be moving to St. Thomas in mid-May. Just curious what are people referring to when they say a letter from your state from the DMV? I just want to know what to ask for so I will have it when I get there. I love all the info on this site! Great job. Can’t wait to get there.

  40. April 3, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

    Chris Said,

    Never had DL always lived in the city.How hard is it to get one and what will i need?Thanks

  41. April 3, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    I really don’t know but I do know you’ll have to take a written test. I would probably get my license first in the states then trade it in here.

  42. May 1, 2010 @ 2:14 pm


    Does St. Thomas take finger prints when obtaining a driver’s license? Most stateside states are doing so. Thanks.

  43. May 1, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Not that I know of.

  44. July 25, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

    loli Said,

    My son and I have been living in St.Thomas V.I. for 2 years. My backpack was stolen with all my ID.I have my birth certificate and social security card.MY license is suspended in USA.I need a picture ID for my son and I to go home. What do I need to do?

  45. July 25, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

    Loli Said,

    I”ve never submited anything before. my question to you is that my son and I need to get off of st.thomas V.I.MY only Id is a birhcertificate and social security card.What do I do to get back to the states?

  46. August 16, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

    SandyPA_C Said,

    Went to the BMV this morning to get my DL. I was told I needed the driver’s record from Michigan. Takes up to 8 weeks to get it! You would think they could just run my license on the computer and check it! Guess not! Guess I will keep my MI license a while longer…

  47. August 16, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Yea, we mentioned you need your driving record in the blog.

  48. August 19, 2010 @ 10:57 pm

    Tammi Said,

    Getting a driving record from the state of your license was a painless process for me. I just called the California DMV and asked them to send me a copy of my driving record. Then I went to the DMV with that, my social security card, my stateside drivers license, and my passport and it was pretty easy. If you can, go prepared with the driving record b/c you don’t want to wait in line twice.

  49. September 20, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

    jassnay Said,

    what abou obtaining a permit,?

  50. September 20, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    No idea about a permit, sorry :(

  51. December 13, 2010 @ 7:51 am

    jennie Said,

    how many years back do they want your prior driving record? i can get 3 yrs, 7 yrs, or the whole dam ting from Fla.?

  52. December 14, 2010 @ 7:24 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    I have no idea, but why not bring 3 just in case? I can’t imagine you’ll need more than 1 but again, don’t know for sure.

  53. January 20, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

    Sansee Said,

    If you already have a USVI license and currently lives in another state and but it’s about to expire what’s the process to having it renewed?

  54. February 6, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

    kevin taylor Said,

    question.Do the usvi license have a finger print on back of it.

  55. February 6, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,


  56. March 16, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

    Dewa Said,

    im from Canada and recently moved to ST Thomas 3 months ago. I just noticed the my Canadian Driver’s lic has expired almost 4 months ago. Can I trade in my expired canadian lic to obtain a USVI driver’s lic?

  57. March 16, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

    Dewa Said,

    Does anybody have the ST Thomas DMV Address and telephone #?

  58. March 17, 2011 @ 5:19 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    I’m not sure I would call them, the number is on this post.

  59. April 2, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

    Jan DiTonnno Said,

    well i am thinking of quiting my accounting job and head down to St. Thomas to live in May 2011. I will be looking for a job, and a small apartment. I also will not have a car. Any suggestions for a apartment and employment?
    Thank you Jan

  60. April 19, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

    Dana Said,

    I will be spending my honeymoon in St. Thomas and have 10 days to tryto get a St. Thomas license. I have SS card, passport and driving record. Also – can i use the St. Thomas license when i reurn stateside (to a different state than where I was usspended/

  61. April 20, 2011 @ 5:26 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    A USVI license works like any stateside license.

  62. April 20, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

    Dana Said,

    Can anyne suggest how i might obtain a ST DL if I am suspened in the state of VT? I am willing to start from scratch – take the test(s). Whatever necessary. Thanks

  63. April 20, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

    Dana Said,

    Okay thanks for you comment.I have been searching for months for a blog like this. So should I make an apointemnt for an exam before get to St. Thomas? Will I need a driving record or sr 22 – or should I just start from scratch “having never had a license”

  64. April 21, 2011 @ 5:54 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Your best bet is to go to the BMV and act like you’ve never had a license. Ask what you need to do to get one. Or just call there and ask them how they handle suspended licenses and ask if you can get one. The phone number is on the article.

  65. April 27, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

    Dana Said,

    Thanks Big Kahuna – Is BMV the same as DMV? Which artice do I find the number in? Also my fiancee now says she may want to go to St. Johns – is it the same there as it is in St. Thomas or should i do this in st. thomas? Lastly is there a lawyer you could recommend to discuss this with me before I arrive in St. Thomas?

    Thanks you very much.

  66. April 27, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    BMV and DMV are the same. The number is listed in the article you are commenting in at the bottom. I would simply call them first before making any decisions or hiring a lawyer.

  67. May 12, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

    ViNewbie Said,

    Thanks for the info. One question: Where is the BMV located in Charlotte Amalie?

  68. May 12, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Sub base across from Pueblo.

  69. July 8, 2011 @ 8:14 am

    Derek Dale Said,

    Just as a heads up for pretty much everyone reading this article. Five years ago I was in the position of having a revoked license in the states and moved to St Thomas in the hopes of obtaining a drivers license that would work state-side when I returned.

    With an old stateside license that was not yet expired, an original social security card and my passport I was able to get my license without any big hassle. I will say that you have to be very patient and ready to fill out some forms, I ended up having to take the written test – very easy but there are some wacky VI only laws so I would read the study booklet first – and walked out with a license that looks like a 15 made it in his basement but hey, its a license and it works just fine with no problems stateside.

    I have used this license for the past 5 years in the states and have gotten vehicle insurance etc. with not issue. Also have gotten pulled over once in the state I had the suspension in and all was clear. Only word of advice would be to keep in mind people are going to wonder why you have a VI license if you are liviing in the states… I would use something like I own property in VI and for tax/bureaucratic reasons makes life much easier to keep VI license along wiht I slit my time down there etc.

    To sume it up I am guessing that most people who are reading this stuff have something wrong with their state-side license and are hoping getting a VI license to be there solution. In a lot of ways it can but it is going to take time and patience.

    Good luck

  70. July 8, 2011 @ 9:14 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Actually VI law requires you to have a license if you’re here for more than 3 months. So if you get pulled over just tell the cop that you spend over 3 months in the VI and are required by law.

  71. July 12, 2011 @ 8:26 am

    Derek Dale Said,

    Big kahuna let me ask u a question.

    I just came back to the VI and renewed my expired VI license and it looks much different than my previous license issued in ’03. On the new licenses(with the red strip on top) where is the DL # or more specifically which number is the actual DL #. On the latest VI license there is both a CI # and a DD#. Which is what you would consider your Drivers License #?


  72. July 12, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,


  73. July 14, 2011 @ 1:33 am

    Tracey Said,

    My daughter is moving down to go to school on St. Croix, she will be getting her first DL this month and moving the next so she won’t really have much of a driving record. Will she still need one, or do I tell her to just keep asking different clerks. HaHa. She needs the DL to establish residency so next year she will be in state student.

  74. July 14, 2011 @ 5:26 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    If she never received a license she will need to take the drivers test here, but check that.

  75. August 17, 2011 @ 5:34 am

    Jyash Said,

    I lost my USVI DL a while ago, along with my SS card. I’m not a resident any more, but I would like to get a DL from the USVI since I go there very often and stay a bit longer than the three months allowed with my International License. So just to play safe I’d like to get a duplicate of my DL, which has expired by now. Do I still need to take my original SS card? I don’t have a physical one, just the number. Can I still get a valid DL?

  76. August 17, 2011 @ 6:06 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    As far as I know you still need SS card a long with a passport.

  77. September 25, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

    Mike Said,

    Big “k”
    Exactly what do I need to get a VI/DL?
    Valid stateside DL, SS card, passport
    Do I need drivers history?
    Plan on being in VI over 3 months per year
    What’s the real deal on having a VI and stateside
    Please advise, thx

  78. September 25, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    You need a valid license, SS card, Passport and official driving record.

  79. November 15, 2011 @ 9:40 am

    Anita Said,

    hey i had a texas license and it expire like 2yrs ago and i been trying to renew it online but it wasnt working now im trying to get a vi license and i dont know what i will have to do now that its been so long, could you help me on this one?

  80. November 15, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    You need a valid drivers license.

  81. December 9, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

    Eric Said,

    I assume a vision test is part of the process, but am asking anyway cuz no one has mentioned it among the other necessities (letter from state, old d.l., etc.)??

  82. December 10, 2011 @ 6:31 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    No a vision test is not required.

  83. December 10, 2011 @ 11:31 am

    Eric Said,

    Why do I think you’re kidding?

    Come on, really?

    Can anyone else verify?

  84. December 10, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Well both my wife and I traded in our Mass license and neither of us took an eye test. But it’s St. Thomas so that could mean they forgot, were too lazy or they just don’t care if you’re blind.

  85. February 16, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

    Jennifer Said,

    You really need to bring a copy of your driving record?

  86. February 16, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,


  87. March 29, 2012 @ 7:43 am

    sharlene Said,

    question: i have a girl friend, that has a us driver permit, can they replace it by having a us vir. islnd license and would they have to take a test or driving course examine. Now when they arrive back in their state can they drive in the state or whould they have to change it.

  88. March 29, 2012 @ 8:10 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    No idea, you’ll have to call them.

  89. April 29, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

    Desperadochica Said,

    I moved home from tx a bout two years ago but I went to Florida a got a ticket about a year ago haven’t paid it yet sounds bad but true. I’ve been unemployed ever since I’ve been on st Thomas. However I lost my tx dl how can I obtain a vi dl and will they see my tickets in fl on my record

  90. April 29, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    Get a duplicate Tx License, and TX driving record. Bring your passport and or social security card to BMV.

  91. July 12, 2012 @ 9:16 am

    Donna Said,

    Have lived on St. Thomas for 10 years and have never gotten a license. How do I get a driving record? I have not driven in those 10 years. I

  92. September 10, 2012 @ 10:15 am

    BVI DL to USVI DL Said,

    What if I have a BVI DL, are the transfer requirements the same as if I had a stateside DL? Or would I have to take the road test etc.

    I tried calling the DMV to find out (340-774-5765) but no answer.

  93. November 21, 2012 @ 6:27 am

    SChnuffel Said,

    Hi, I read all of this but the big question I have is this. I been living in Germany for the past 20 years and is getting ready to come back home for a while. what will they do if I have a German license? Yes, I tried that number at least a 1000 time without answer. Do anyone know what i have to do???

  94. November 28, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

    PJ in the VIs Said,

    I need to get my VI license, but my stateside license has expired for 2 months. What do you recommend I do so that I am not sitting around the DMV all day? I dont mind paying extra costs, but I do mind sitting around doing nothing because angry tellers at the DMV dont want to do their job.
    I have a passport, SSC, Healthcard, and my expired license(which I figure will be about as helpful as having a winter coat).

  95. December 7, 2012 @ 7:39 pm

    Lamont Bridges Said,

    I am a first time driver and need to know how to obtain a drivers license

  96. December 9, 2012 @ 4:55 am

    BIG Kahuna Said,

    You’ll need to take a test.

  97. February 26, 2013 @ 9:06 am

    pooja Said,

    Hi, my question is i have indian driving licence and now i want to apply for the USVI licence m staying in st thomas, Do i need to go for the written & Diving test? or i need to go ahead derectly for the licence ….m calling on 340-774-5765 number for to get the address and to solve my query but noboday is responding…..pls help

  98. March 15, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

    Karen Said,

    Hi I just wanted to you tell you that your blog has been most helpful. We just moved to St Thomas Feb 2013. I just transferred my state side lic for a VI license. Some of the information here is a little out date. You need the following:
    1. valid drivers license
    2. a copy of your driving record in the state your license is issued in. This is a simple process – most states you can request this online and they mail it to you.
    3. Social Security card
    4. Passport or birth certificate
    5. 2 copies (not duplicates) verifying your address. rent receipt, bill, lease agreement, paystub etc.

    The last one is important as they will turn you away without showing 2 documents proving residence.

    hope this helps

  99. March 15, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

    Karen Said,

    I do have a question for any bloggers on here. I could not find this information anywhere;

    on my VI drivers license there is a CI number and a DD number. I am assuming one of these is my actual drivers license number but unsure which one. And what is the other one?

    Thanks in advance

  100. April 29, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

    Elijah Said,

    I have a Florida Permit. Will i have to retake the written test when i come home for the summer or can i just take the road test to get my license ?

  101. June 5, 2013 @ 10:03 am

    Angus Said,

    Hi all. This blog is great. Thank you. Do any of you know if the RMV or DMV in ST will accept a Driving Record from the National Drivers Registry? Its at the US Federal Level so it should be superior to any state record?

    I have a Maassachusetts Driver’s License. It was suspended in October 2011 per order of the MA Dept of Revenue for non-payment of Income Tax. I am still in possession of it and it has not expired. I want to turn it in for a license from the VI’s or PR.

    My National Record dated May 24, 2013 does not show the suspension (evidently it’s not serious enough to be included in the National Registry database).

    So, if i show up with Passport, MA License, Nat’l Drivers Registry Record, do you think I’ll have any problems? And will USVI notify MA RMV That I’ve turned in my MA Lic an in return get a notice from MA that I’ve got a suspended License?

    Its unproductive, in my view, to suspend a lic for not paying income taxes. I mean how are you suppose to work and be above board?

  102. June 6, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

    shanice Said,

    Can someone please tell me how would I go about getting a new D.L when mine has been expired for years now. 2010 to be exact…

  103. October 23, 2013 @ 4:30 pm

    Tom Gissen Said,

    My license in the states is suspended for several years. According to the virgin Islands’ or St Croix’s DMV site, it looks like you can get a USVI license even with a suspended state-side license provided you take a medical exam, take a driving course and pass the necessary tests for new drivers. Is this right?
    Secondarily, do DMV’s in the USVI check the National Drivers Register before issuing a license?
    Lastly, are the rules and procedures the same on St Thomas and St Croix. I see a lot of info on St Thomas but I would probably get my license in St Croix.
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.

  104. October 25, 2013 @ 11:44 am

    FlyingDiver Said,

    My license in the states is suspended for several years. According to the virgin Islands’ or St Croix’s DMV site, it looks like you can get a USVI license even with a suspended state-side license provided you take a medical exam, take a driving course and pass the necessary tests for new drivers. Is this right?
    Secondarily, do DMV’s in the USVI check the National Drivers Register before issuing a license?
    Lastly, are the rules and procedures the same on St Thomas and St Croix. I see a lot of info on St Thomas but I would probably get my license in St Croix.
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.

  105. April 18, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

    Ellee Said,

    Can someone please post the link for the written test, for St. Thomas USVI.

Leave a Comment