Those pesky Geckos!

People often find our blog after searching for some common island topic, like ‘St. Thomas Beach’, ‘car rental on St. Thomas’ - you get the idea.

Every now and then, however, someone finds us with a random search, such as the person who googled ‘Gecko Repellant’. I figured I would take this search and do a quick post on it, just in case this person – who is obviously dealing with some large gecko issue - finds our blog again.

We know geckos are all over our island, and many other tropical areas. They’re crossing the roads, hiding under your couch cushions, hanging out in palm trees and sunning themselves on roofs and patios. They come in all sizes – big like these guys (at the Marriot):

…and teensy like this one (on our living room wall):

I know a few things about geckos: they love maraschino cherries, they’re harmless, they’re photographed all the time by tourists and everytime they lift their body up and run like mad it cracks me up. I don’t know if there’s any sort of repellent for them – but I did find this list of tips to keep them away from your home:

1- Terminix time: once you rid your house of tiny pests the geckos, who love those insects, will probably take off as well.

2- Cool down: geckos like warm places, if your house is on the cooler side they won’t want to hang out there as much.

3- “Here kitty kitty”: having a cat roaming around your house will certainly put geckos on notice…although some will be too quick for your feline.

4- Seal and deal: take a quick walk around your house and check for cracks and holes that look inviting to a lizard, and seal them up. Spraying bug spray might also deter some geckos from coming in.

If you live on an island and read these tips you’ll see immediately that numbers 2 and 4 would be hard to work with. With electricity costs what they are almost no one is going to run their AC all day just to keep a lizard out. As for cracks and holes? Most island homes have open areas all over the place, so good luck with that one! Scott and I have Terminix come out on a regular schedule, but that’s for roaches and spiders; I can deal with lizards, but a roach? Oh no. No, no, no. No.

I don’t know where our gecko-sufferer lives, but I’m interested as to what kind of issue they’re having. I do have this to say to them, don’t sweat it! For the most part geckos are doing you a favor by chowing down on roaches, mosquitoes, termites and other little pests. If they’re not eating they’re most likely looking for a place to chill out and grab some sun, or they’re hanging off a tree branch watching the world go by.

Good luck to you!

1. July 30, 2008 @ 7:37 am

Alexis Said,

For the “Gecko Sufferer”
    1. Please don’t call it Gecko it is a lizard that is what everyone in the islands call them. You have two things. Lizards (the small ones) and Iguanas (the big ones.
    2. I don’t really see what a problem with the “lizards” are? They eat the bugs which is good so they aren’t in your house all the time. They are cute and they don’t ruin anything.

3.Also please do not let your cats eat the lizards. There is a poison in the lizards that causes a milky white film to go over cats eyes and can cause them to go blind if they eat too many so please let your cats only chase the lizards not eat them.

2. July 30, 2008 @ 10:42 am

Island Girl Said,

I didn’t know about the toxic in lizards that is harmful to cats – thanks for noting that!

3. November 14, 2008 @ 5:33 pm

Terry Said,

I live in Coral Springs, Florida (suburb of Fort Lauderdale). The geckos (small sized) cover our large unscreened patio and they live in the high-hat lights. They poop everywhere…we pressure clean…and we don’t want to screen. We’ve even captured them in jars and let them loose on the opposite side of the golf course…works for awhile, but…they’re back. Please, I’d rather they didn’t hang out. Ideas?

4. May 19, 2009 @ 2:43 am

Sherradon Prinsloo Said,

Hi

i have the worlds 1st Gecko repellent and it really works. its past and backed by the department of agriculture here in South Africa.

My company has the sole rights to distribute it.

please let me know if you are interested in finding out more.

Kind Regards

Sherradon

5. May 26, 2009 @ 3:01 pm

Mixdplate Said,

Sherradon, how about leaving us info on how to contact you about this Gecko repellent.

6. August 4, 2009 @ 1:54 am

Maureen Said,

Something is eating my baby canaries and I found a fat gecko in the cage. I dont want to kill the gecko, just get them to move out. Sherradon, Please let me have your details.
    thanks
    Maureen

7. September 15, 2009 @ 1:35 pm

Daphanee Said,

Yes I am responding to Sherradon comment about the Lizard repellent if you could give me more information on it!!

8. October 20, 2009 @ 12:35 am

sandra Said,

i have been using the gecko repellant and it is fantastic, no more gekos in the house and the best thing about it is that it is eco friendly

9. November 4, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

Zarina Ally Said,

Could you please give me more information about the geko repellant used by Sherradon as well as the name of the product and if possible where is it avaiable.
    Thanks
    Zarina

10. November 12, 2009 @ 7:00 am

sandra Said,

you can get the repellant email admin@ecops.co.za it is the most wonderful product

11. November 12, 2009 @ 7:03 am

Anonymous Said,

where can i buy the product

12. November 22, 2009 @ 9:09 am

Liz Said,

Hi guys,

I have a total gecko phobia, for whatever reason I cannot be in a house (let alone a room) with them. Even reading this thread makes me queasy and panicky! Please please tell me about this repellent and where I can buy it!!!??? I live in Kenya.

13. November 24, 2009 @ 4:16 am

Bianca Said,

The Gecko repellant is Brilliant. And the company has other ECO friendly products as well. Like Snake Repellant etc. Contact Sherradon and the products will proabably be posted to you.
    sherradon@ecops.co.za

I’ve used the stuff and it works. Give it a try

14. December 22, 2009 @ 12:41 am

sandra Said,

i am an agent for the products u can contact me via email for further information sand.land@webmail.co.za
    anyone interested i can post it to u its the most brilliant product i have used

15. April 17, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

qld lad Said,

My only problem with them is they shit all over the place. I can’t have that.

16. May 3, 2010 @ 10:32 pm

contessapv Said,

I lived in St. John 1990-91 in Chocolate hole. I now live in Puerto Vallarta Mexico and the geckos poop and urine eat holes in my european plate glass windows . Their by products etch
    marks in the glass which are ruining my windows. I heard plastic bags of moth balls outside would discourage geckos.
    What is is CURE or elimination made of?
    Maybe stalks of lemon grass would discourage the misquitos and the geckos?

17. May 3, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

contessapv Said,

Maybe ropes of garlic would do the same. Try it . It helps for vampires …and maybe no see em’s. I had dengue in St. John, after that I ate a garlic clove a day dipped in oil then sweet n low. swallow like a pill. Never bit again by a no see em.

18. September 1, 2010 @ 2:32 am

Eugene Said,

Hi If any one needs assistance with this gecko problem please call + 21 31 464 9275 for more info.

19. September 1, 2010 @ 2:34 am

Eugene Said,

We are the manufacturers of this gecko repellent. my email is repel@telkomsa.net

20. December 20, 2010 @ 8:50 am

Sharon Said,

I am from South Afica and the Gecko repellent really does work. However it does stain the walls.

21. February 14, 2011 @ 4:44 am

des Said,

i am from south Africa and need a gecko repelent. how does it work and where can i get it from, any suppliers.
    Thanks

22. March 5, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

Donald Said,

Donald, Sunshine coast Australia
    Gecko’s as said above like warm areas. like air con circuit boards and TV,s i have had my air con go bang and was repaired now it has started by itself at night. pitty the little thing dies starting the aircon.

23. March 13, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

hassana Said,

Thank heavens! for whoever invented gecko repellent. Whenever I see one in my room it’s either someone gets rid of it or I cant sleep in that room, it is harmless, but it drives me crazy with the way it moves!!! ah!

24. May 27, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Yaa Said,

I hate these geckos… One is in my bedroom now and I’ve vacated the room to sleep in my living room